Tasktop Sync 4.3 Release Notes
July 28, 2015
Tasktop Sync now supports 36 different end-point systems, with support for five new systems in this release alone! In addition to adding support for these new end systems, we’ve focused on adding a number of features to make the Tasktop Sync administrator’s lives a bit easier. From mapping users, to performing typical maintenance tasks, this release of Sync reduces the burden of many repetitive manual tasks. Tasktop Sync is designed to save our end-users’ time and we want to expand that time savings to the people who administer it.
New Systems Supported
Requirements management and elicitation; change and defect management; and project management tools were the focus for this release cycle. Here’s a list of our new integrations:
- IBM ClearQuest is a very flexible software change and defect management application. Its focus is on allowing large organizations to create and manage complex, custom change and defect management processes and workflows. Now you can integrate this flexible and robust tool with the rest of your development ecosystem.
- Requirements management tools are wonderful, but keeping them updated with information from various disciplines often requires long email chains full of spreadsheets. Now that Tasktop Sync supports Blueprint, you can gain traceability to ensure your requirements are developed and tested in accordance with your policies.
- HP PPM is the newest member of our continually expanding set of PPM tools integrations. Need to know the status of your project? Now you can sync tasks from HP PPM with your development tools of choice and see instant updates.
- CA Harvest is a scalable software change and release management tool designed to automate all aspects of change management, policy compliance and workflows. Tasktop Sync now supports CA Harvest integrations with the development and testing tools in the Sync ecosystem.
- They say a picture is worth a thousand words; with iRise you can take this to heart. iRise is a prototyping tool that allows teams to visually capture requirements on a screen by screen basis. Now, with Tasktop Sync, you can show (not just tell) your engineers and testers the user experience they should be developing and testing against.
New Artifacts and Attributes
While we continue to add new connectors to support additional end systems, we’re also making our existing connectors more robust. This release cycle we added:
BMC Remedy Incidents
- In addition to Remedy Problems, you can now synchronize Incidents to escalate help deck tickets to your development team.
New Sync Features
Tasktop Sync is the engine that powers your integrations. Like all engines it requires a little tuning (by Sync admins) to ensure that the engine is running efficiently. In this release, we focused on time-saving and usability features to help make Sync admin’s lives a bit easier and to give them a great user experience. Sync 4.3 now includes:
- Improved Sync Performance: Sync now lets you stagger the execution of queries to reduce server load. This in turn improves the speed of synchronizations, ensuring your users see the most up to date information.
- Batch Sync Support: Sync allows you to schedule synchronizations. You can now schedule them for after hours, reducing the server load during working hours. This provides additional control for tuning performance.
- Auto Matching of Sprints (and other fields): Previously, when a new sprint was added to systems involved in an integration, the Sync admin had to manually map any new field options. Now Sync will look for these new field options and automatically map them together. This not only applies to sprint-related fields, but it applies to any single or multi-select field, providing a great time saver.
- Sync Automatically Reflects End System Configuration Changes: Instead of admins manually reflecting end system configuration changes in Sync, the system can now be scheduled to automatically search for and accommodate for these changes. Since these configuration operations prevent other simultaneous administration of Tasktop Sync, they can now be scheduled to be performed automatically during off hours, rather than manually by an admin during the day.
- Automatic Person Mapping: Previous to this enhancement, when a new user was added to endpoint systems, the Sync admin had to update the person mapping files. Now, Sync will be able to map them together automatically. This will save significant Sync configuration time when new users are added to each end system.
- New company look: As you can see from this page, Tasktop has updated our visual identity. This new look is incorporated in this release of Tasktop Sync.
- Expanded Rich Hover: We’ve expanded the native ‘hover’ capability of the IBM tools. Now you can hover over external associations and a dialog box will appear with information about the object on the other side of the link. For example, while in IBM DOORS Next Gen , you can see the status of a linked HP ALM test. With this feature, you don’t have to switch back and forth between tools, or try to figure out how to synchronize HP ALM tests into DOORS Next Gen.
- Sync Instance Naming: Now, Sync admins can provide custom names for each Sync instance, easing administration and troubleshooting. For example , should an error occur, the error email will now indicate which instance caused it, speeding time to resolution.
- Search and filter mappings: The Sync mapping panel now provides the ability to filter by repository type or mapping name. Now, if you’re looking for a mapping, you can save time by using this search feature. Additionally, you only need to expand the sections of the mapping pane that concern you removing the distractions from the other mappings in your Sync instance.
- Visible Attribute Handlers: Attribute Handlers are visible in the Sync UI; it is no longer necessary to add these through the XML files. Now, you can do this directly from the UI, saving time.
- File-based Value Mapping: Have ten mappings, each using the same field with the same value options? Now you can configure the value mapping once, in a file, and reuse it for the other nine mappings. What a great time saver!
- Configurable Sync Workspace Location: Now you can decide where your Sync Workspace is located during install. This gives you greater control and ensures the Workspace is where you want it and not tucked away in one of your admin’s home directory.
We hope you enjoy the features in Tasktop Sync 4.3.
Tasktop Sync Fixes
Visit our Support Portal for a full list of fixes, upgrade notes and system requirements related to Sync 4.3.